Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Ethical Philosopher

I was visiting over at Canadian Comment who has posted a link to "What kind of Ethical Philosopher are you? I took the test.

I remember the summer when I was 14. I was unemployed and under resourced when out of sheer boredom I was reduced to reading The Story of Philosophy, by Will Durant. It was the only book left in the house that I hadn't read.

I cried at the death of Socrates and rejected Plato's Utopian vision, but it wasn't until I read Voltaire that I experienced my first crush. Not John Travolta, or Fonzie, Donny Osmond, or even with one of the guys in Led Zeppelin, but with a man who had been dead hundreds of years before I was even conceived.

I read everything he wrote and read everything about him that I could lay my hands on. I even dreamed about him. The consequences of my interest in Voltaire led me to read other philosophers, history and literature. Eventually, this path lead me to Ayn Rand and my second life long crush, one that has never really left me. Howard Roark.

This made dating an extremely complicated teenage endeavour. Trust me, its practically impossible to find that sense of uncompromising individualism in teenage boys. Though it did help to save me from unwed teenage motherhood unlike so many of my contemporaries from the hedonistic 70's & 80's. Take the test. I was Ayn Rand. Who are you?

No comments: