The Daily Star:
Two female Italian aid workers have been freed by their Iraqi captors along with two Iraqi colleagues, Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi announced Tuesday, after three anguishing weeks of captivity. Simona Torretta and Simona Pari, both 29, who were seized by armed men on Sept. 7 at their office in Baghdad, could be back with their families by Tuesday night, he said.
But earlier Tuesday, Italy's leading newspaper, Corriere della Sera, had reported the two Italian female aid workers could be released in coming days once a $1 million ransom has been paid.
The paper, citing a report in a Kuwaiti newspaper, said half the ransom money had been paid and the other half could be handed over Tuesday or Wednesday.
While I do not grudge Simona Torretta & Simona Pari their lives, nor hold any ill will towards them, I do hold the Italian & Filipino government responsible for inciting and pandering to these heinous barbarians. In buying the feed and filling the trough of these animals you have guaranteed that more innocents will fall victim to the slaughter. Are you now prepared to pick up the tab for the entire zoo? My question to the Italian government is: was Fabrizio Quattrocchi the last Italian man?
Tipped off by The Cool Blue Blog