Wednesday, December 06, 2006

To Bibi or not to Bibi

Ynet News is reporting that Israeli Likud party leader Benjamin Netanyahu is tired of struggling with the Israeli media to get his message out, and so ,he started a his own blog to reach the Israeli public directly.
The blog was launched Tuesday night, and it's main purpose is to get Netanyahu's message directly across to the public, since the media has not been giving him sufficient airtime, he's now found a way around them. Netanyahu's associates have nicknamed the blog 'The Bibi blog', and are very excited about it's launching. According to them, Netanyahu wants to reach each and every citizen, and if a blog is the only way, then so be it.

So far the blog includes Netanyahu's weekly article, pictures from his life, forms for joining the Likud, news clips, videos of Netanyahu's speeches from around the world, and of course many reminders of the fact that he warned of the dangers or Iran, the disengagement, Hizbullah and more.

Netanyahu's opening message to the public starts by expressing how pleased he is to be able to have an open dialogue with them through this blog. He also welcomes feedback and ideas through talkbacks. He also says that he will be "presenting my views and the plans that me and my comrades plan to implement when we return to power." For Netanyahu, this blog is part of a three-part plan to reach the public. This plan includes touring the country and visiting developments towns, the traditional media, and now, this blog.

He stressed his appreciation of talkbacks and emails and said "what could be more important for a public figure?" in order to keep in touch with the people. For now, Netanyahu says all talkbacks are welcome, even those less positive ones and said "I am known to be a democrat."


Ynet News has a talk back feature online for each article and so far the biggest complaint is that The Bibi Blog is not being carried in English. Get a grip people – after all it is the world’s only Hebrew speaking state in which he is trying to be elected leader of. In Canada, we have had a few members of Parliament run pre-election blogs, but I would really like to see party leaders embracing this type grassroots move in our own system.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Kudos to Bibi for reaching out. He is a genuine Israeli institution, and everyone here has an opinion about him.

I won't be voting Likud, however, unless they make some serious changes in their stance on domestic economic and social welfare policies. Right now, they are too much like the Republican's "compassionate conservatism" which is wreaking havoc in the States.

That said, I absolutely believe that Bibi must be part of the Israeli gov't, as an official spokesman. That is his great strength.

If I were PM, I'd make him a minister without portfolio, and an ambassador plenopetentiary to the English speaking world.

K. Shoshana said...

I agree he is an asset, and his greatest strenght is his ability to communicate to the English speaking world, while I recognize his term as Prime Minister was flawed.

I don't have either a dog in this race or a vote, but I do have an opinion. I have yet to see a viable alternative to the existential threats Israel is facing right now other than a Likud lead alliance.

I recognize what a unique state Israel it is not just for being the world's only Jewish state but how it attempts to apply Jewish ethics to the workings of the state and marketplace.

But, the country is undergoing a brain drain for lack of economic opportunties as well. This needs to be addressed in an open matter. A friend's mother rents a house in Toronto to a young Israeli couple with two young children. A few days after the war broke out we had to drop something off at the house and managed to arrive just as Noa's husband getting in a taxi with his bags. His country was at war and he felt his homeland needed him home - right away. I suspect his story isn't unique and was probably echoed all over North America. Why did they leave, they really felt they could not afford to live there any longer.

Michael said...

You are right; Israel is not perfect, and it is a hard place not to be rich. However, it also has inspired a fierce loyalty in its citizens, and for all it flaws, the gov't really does care of its people- I know, I've had direct experience with the US health care and unemployment systems, and the Israeli equivalents.

"I don't have either a dog in this race or a vote, but I do have an opinion."
Kate, you're Jewish. Just convert already.

K. Shoshana said...

Michael,

Funny, my son says the same thing to me. I suspect you just want to have someone around whose Hebrew you'd get a chance to correct often and frequently. But pity the poor Rabbi who'd agree to take me on.

Oddly enough, I have been listening on my ipod to a number of lectures based on the teachings of Rabbi Nachman. Its been somewhat a melancholy experience for me as I hear the echoes of my grandfather and his wisdom.

Every time I hear "to speak of his kindess in the morning, and his faithfulness by nights" I choke up. Six years later and I miss him more now than ever.

You know, what is ridiculous? I ended up reading the Rambam which lead me to Ravi Kook, which lead to Dessler, which lead to Miller and Soloveitchik...you don't want to know...