Friday, August 05, 2005

A dark day in Zion

When I arrived home last night I first learned of the terrorist acts of 19 year old IDF deserter Natan Eden Zada. This is a post that I wish I could avoid acknowledging but there is no way to continue to watch events in Israel and the Middle East and not give this incident the weight it deserves.

For those not already in the know, Natan Eden Zada boarded a bus in his army issue uniform. The bus was full of Palestinian Christians and Druze who were going about their daily affairs and in an act of the utmost evil, and without known provocation, opened fire with his army issued weapon. Four souls were killed out right and over 12 sustained injuries. Zada was not content to shoot just those on the bus also turned his gun on several passerbyers on the street. According to eyewitness accounts the police were late arriving but eventually were holding him alive and captive on the bus. The news of the shooting spread rapidly and within minutes a crowd of over two thousand surrounded the bus. The mob outraged over Zada nefarious acts and the fact that the police had not shot dead the prepatrator laid seize to the bus. By the time order was finally restored Zada had been beaten to death by the mob.

According to this Jerusalem Post report police have arrested 3 minors who allegedly had fore knowledge of Zada’s attack. Haaretz is quoting Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon calling it “a sinful act by a bloodthirsty terrorist” According to Debkafile Sharon has also ordered that the bereaved families and victims of yesterday’s attack will receive state assistance and benefits awarded to all those who are victims of Palestinian Arab terror in Israel. How ironic it is that only on a dark day can I finally find anything to give credit and kudos to Ariel Sharon for, and the record, I would also note that Sharon did not refer to Zada at any time as a militant or extremist (note to the Toronto Star) nor did not hesitate to call him a terrorist.

Bus Driver Michel Bachus, 56,
Sisters Dina (23) and Hazar (21) Turki
Nader Hayek, 55

May they rest in peace.

2 comments:

Candace said...

That was an act of unbelievable hatred. I do not understand these people, nor do I understand the apologists that refer to them as anything other than terrorists.

His end was a fitting one.

K. Shoshana said...

I do believe in capital punishment, and I am not a squeamish person, nor do I doubt that if the occasion called for it, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger myself and take another’s life. But having said that, I find Zada’s actions innately evil but there is something incredibly barbaric by being beaten to death by a crowd. If Zada had been tried by a court of law and judgment was passed that by his own actions his life was forfeit. I would be okay with that, but lynched by an angry mob is never justice and never fitting.