Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Once upon a time in XBox land

Generally, there is nothing I hate worse than having to call technical support for anything. Talk about an exercise in both patience and frustration. A few months ago I bought the boys (so I tell myself) an X Box 360. I went all out and bought them a new console with the all the upper end premium add-ons rather than buying a used console and piecing it together over time as has been my habit. I actually delaying buying the X Box 360 hoping that Microsoft has gotten all the kinks out the manufacturing process by the time I was ready to buy the machine.

From the get-go the console disk drive door stuck on and off. Often the console couldn’t read brand new X Box 360 games and we would be forced to repeatedly shut-down and restart the system until the game did work. The problems only compounded with time, until eventually the drive door refused to open at all. I was finally forced to accept the fact there was nothing else for it but to call Microsoft’s technical support.

Why call centres hire people whose pronunciation of English is so heavily accented that the language is hardly recognizable for an English technical support line is beyond my ability to fathom. The horrible thing about having any kind of an accent - in almost any language - is that a telephone line will magnify and distort the accent making comprehension a truly Herculean task. It’s like trying to crack a code to understand what the technical support is saying - and that’s just the opening greeting.

After skillfully maneuvering through all the various options on the voicemail tree systems and having to wait forever and an age for a live technical support person to answer the line; I spent another frustrating 30 minutes going over all the trouble shooting tips I had done a 1,000 times before I called technical support. There seemed to be no other remedy but to return the X Box 360 console to the repair centre.

I had returned a Sony Playstation 2 once for repair but I have to give Microsoft full marks because I didn’t have to pay for the cost to courier the console to them for repair. Microsoft arranged for a special couriered return box, prepaid and with all the appropriate labels to be delivered to me. At no point during this process did I have to pay for anything. Last night I picked up what I thought was the repaired console only to discover a brand new spanking X Box 360 had been shipped to me instead. Total turnaround time from my call to Microsoft and a new machine to be delivered to my door – 8 days.

I really have to admit I really did like my old X box. You could drop that sucker on the floor or bang it off the wall and she always worked - every single time.

2 comments:

Chris Taylor said...

I tink you should buy Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and then invite me over so I can play it.

K. Shoshana said...

Montana had it and rated it unfit for boy or myself to play. He traded it in for Ghost Recon. We are waiting for Halo 3. Perhaps I did to do a Halo 3 marathon?