Saturday, February 24, 2007

Geeze, this brings back memories.

One of the headlines at the Drudge Report reads:

Global warming concerns are keeping children awake at night

Half of young children are anxious about the effects of global warming, often losing sleep because of their concern, according to a new report today. A survey of 1,150 youngsters aged between seven and 11 found that one in four blamed politicians for the problems of climate change.
One of my most prominent memories of early elementary school revolves around the fear I felt knowing that the sun was going to burn out and we would all be trying to survive an ice age where millions upon millions of people would simply perish in the cold.

A few years later, I was told in school that I didn't have to worry about dying in the new Ice Age because the population explosion would happen before the sun went nova. Then we were all going to die in the massive wide spread famine which would be the natural consequences of the unchecked population explosion.

By the time I left grade 6, I was taught I didn't have to worry about the population explosion and subsequent famine; because we were all going to die in the initial fallout from a nuclear bomb going off or in the nuclear winter brought on by the denotation of nuclear weapons. And even if no dropped the bomb; there was a significant risk of one of our nuclear power plants going into meltdown and we would all die in the fallout.

According to the progressive policies of my teachers, it should be considered a blessed miracle I will be experiencing my 45th year of life this summer. What I really wonder now is how I ever managed to survive the fears produced from my early elementary education. Though, I really don’t find it particularly comforting to learn that progressive teachers are still the bane of children in elementary school.

5 comments:

Josh said...

"progressive" politics are the politics of fear. Global warming, overpopulation, nuclear reactors going off,....! These things are constructed in order to keep us loose and free morally, and to never stop and question policies that are favored by progressives.

If I were to take seriously the campaign rhetoric of the Democrats I would piss my pants every night for fear of the world utterly collapsing under its own weight! Politics of fear, and they say the fascists are bad?

NotClauswitz said...

Both of my parents are progressives with degrees in Education - aaahgghgh!! I remember those fears, first with the ice-age and then the population explosion and starve-out - which coincided with mom reading "Diet for a Small Planet" and suddenly we were all eating whole grains and bean-sprouts and granola and twigs - flavor vanished from my diet until I moved out on my own.
Growing up was a curse, and now my 76-yr old mom goes on and on about Global Warming... Sheesh, you'd think they could finally give it a freakin' rest.

Cyrano said...

I'm a little younger than you - for me I remember not only fears of nuclear warfare, but that a new ice age would be upon us in mere decades! Sheesh, and people wonder why we're skeptical?!?

Michael said...

I'm 10 years younger than you, Kate, but I also remember childhood fears of the nuclear bomb and Russian missles.

K. Shoshana said...

Josh, interesting comment and I think you are on to something but why did the progressives choose the politics of fearmongering?

Dirtcrashr, I see your two progressive educations and raise you one with a pacifist social worker and a psychologist...I still remember primal theraphy. Thank the Lord, my grandmother did most of the cooking.

Cyrano & Michael - your at least two behind but the way things are going you get at least two more after Dirtcrahr and I are in the grave.