Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Freedom to Choose is also Freedom to Refuse

I have never understood what politician’s mean when it is suggested that Parliament needs more women. I always ask “why” but I have to receive and answer that wasn’t either demeaning or downright patronizing to me as a woman. It’s hard for me to comprehend what the presence of women (or more women) would collectively bring to the table that is not already there. I would like to understand it. As it stands, I feel like there is a huge cultural and social divide between me and my alleged betters on this issue. For example, take this recent Toronto Star editorial bemoaning the lack of women in parliament:
Women should be encouraged to bring their unique qualities to the job, without having to mimic the traits of their male counterparts.

Who knew female politicians “mimic” the traits of their male counterparts? All of which makes me speculate as to who Shelia Copps and Carolyn Parrish have been attempting to “mimic” all these years. And here I thought they were Canadian originals. I really want to double dog dare the Toronto Star to send a reporter to interview Parrish and ask her which male politician she has spent her political career “mimicking”. Even the idea of a female Chretien wannabe is too hysterical for words.

But the Toronto Star never defines what “unique qualities” women would bring to parliament that a man isn’t capable of bringing. If by sheer virtue of our collective physical presence and our double XX chromosome we improve anything and everything; why don’t people go around complaining why there aren’t more female welders, or plumbers or even oil rig workers? When was the last time you heard anyone say; ‘we need more female plumbers’ or ‘I only conduct welding business with female welders?” When you need a plumber who really cares what sex the plumber is?

There is a perfectly obvious and simple reason why more women don’t choose to become welders, plumbers or even politicians. Collectively, it just doesn’t appeal to most women. Note I said ‘most’ and not ‘all’ women. Some women choose to become welders, plumbers or even politicians - and more power to them. No one is going to argue that because you are female you cannot be anything you want to be in Canada in 2007. As this is Canada, no doubt there are probably all kinds of entitlement and grant programs set up for women who do choose to become welders or plumbers, but still, most of us just don’t find it an appealing way to earn a living even with any potential perqs. We can accept that about welders and plumbers; so why can’t we about politicians?

2 comments:

glenda said...

It's like the glass ceiling. I think "some" but not "all" get there look over the top and decide it's not where they want to be.

Michael said...

I think Kate said it right in her title to the post:
When women are free to enter a career, they are also free to avoid it.

Thought provoking. Thank you.