Thursday, June 25, 2009

He beat it for the last time

What a day, Farah Fawcett has lost her long struggle with cancer. I remember her post days well and yes - I had the long blond hair and red bathing suit.

Now early reports are coming in that Michael Jackson has a cardiac arrest and died in a Los Angeles hospital. I grew-up listening to the Jackson 5 and I remember how truly wonderful his solo album 'Off the Wall' album was. I remember speculating with friends on whether or not he could top 'Off the Wall'...but Thriller defied all expectations. His contribution to music and his videos will remembered and numbered by legion.

But. And isn't there always a 'but'? It wasn't his 'weirdness' which put me off his music but the child molestation charges. Although, he was found 'not guilty' in a court of law there were too many unanswered questions and rather dubious behaviour on his part to ever be exonerated completely of these charges in the court of my mind. I suspect I am not alone in this regard. Maybe its too much the 'mother' in me but I don't even know if I can wish his well in death. Ironic that while Michael Jackson remained an obvious looking black man he was relatively normal but his metamorphosis into a white man was characterized by the utmost bizarreness.

Either way, this is the only way - I wish I could remember him.

No comments: