Friday, May 15, 2009

Symbolic Marriage

I read this story at Ha’aretz and it broke me up wondering if ‘symbolic’ marriages will be the new ‘in’ thing? It reminds me of the whole ‘temporary marriages’ the Iranians use to have sex with prostitutes.
Music superstar Madonna may be tying the knot in a Kabbalah ceremony, the father of the intended groom told Brazilian magazine Quem recently, New York City's Daily News reported Thursday.

"The kabbalah ceremony that will link up my son Jesus Luz and Madonna only confirms that he is extremely happy," Luis Heitor Pinto da Luz told Quem.

The father of the 22-year-old model added that he did not think that the ceremony would be legally binding. It would only be a symbolic ceremony signifying the union, he said.

I have a confession to make. I haven’t read the Book of Splendor so I am not up on all the ins and outs of Kabbalah. Every now and then I see it on sale at the bookstore for $4.99, and although I am tempted to buy it, I always put it down. Tradition dictates a study of Kabbalah is only for one who has mastery over both the written and oral torah and has reached at least 40 years of age – otherwise great confusion will result. Seems like a sound rabbinical ruling to me.

No comments: