Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Thatcherite Canadian

Politically, I have felt something of a hodge-podge. Not a true libertarian, nor a Joe Clark conservative, I have often thought myself closer to a classical liberal but try explaining that position to a resident of Canada educated under the clutches of Trudeaupians. Actually, I did try to explain it to my 22 year old brother; he promptly denounced me as a "neo-con" and hasn’t spoken to me since. Ah, the benefits of a liberal arts education! Neo-con could suffice and I have a great deal of sympathy with the so-called Neo-con movement in the States, but that’s not quite it either. Now a chance comment by Jay Currie on a post of mine and I know what I am.

I am a Thatcherite Canadian and I know I am not the only one in this fair dominion. But here’s the rub, I may have found my mantle but most of the Thatcherite Ontarians have not had that Eureka moment. We are world weary and sick at heart of the Fiberal yoke. We bought into the Harris Commonsense Revolution but in the end we were betrayed by the big C government of Ernie Eves and his cronies.

Stephen Harper take note – if you want to carry Ontario in the next election, you need to speak to directly to us Thatcherites. You need to jump start the Canadian Thatcherite Revolution and in the words of Baroness Thatcher – don’t go all wobbly.

2 comments:

David O'Gwynn said...

A Canadian Thatcherite? Brilliant!

By the by, what is your definition of a neo-con? My understanding is that neo-cons are former liberals that have seen the value of free-market fiscal conservatism and free-trade economics.

curtis said...

Neoconservatives in the United States, at least as my understanding goes, are quite hawkish, to the point where I actually refuse to accept some of their views. This article, by the so-called "grandfather of neoconservatism" explains the philosophy. I generally agree with them, but I find their forgein policy troublesome inasmuch as it takes the idea of "national interest" a bit too far.

Just my two cents.

-CS