Tuesday, November 04, 2008

one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. - H. L. Mencken

Election Day USA. I haven’t a clue as to who will win the election. Polls and pundits claim a clear victor is in sight but I have seen both the polls and pundits get it wrong, wrong, and more wrong - over and over again. The alleged ‘undecided’ are still too high for anyone to be complacent of victory in this election.

In 2004, I knew George W. Bush would win the election and he did. I won my bets but this time around I not only didn’t make any bets I have no sense of surety of anything. Little did I realize when I watched a young ‘up and coming’ senator from Illinois address the Democratic convention that four years later I would be watching that same junior senator run for the presidency of the United States. Frankly, I am still stunned the Democrats rejected steely Hillary Clinton in favour of shallow populism of Barack Obama. No doubt Bill, Hillary and 18 million democrats and countless republicans are still stunned too. Demagoguery has its place but ultimately it most often leads one to a bad end as in the style of the Brothers Gracchi.

For me, watching this election as an observer with no vote or dog in this fight, the most remarkable thing I have witnessed has not been the fact that either Obama or McCain won their respective nominations but watching the mainstream media actively choosing to act outside their role as the fourth estate, and thereby, betray the trust of American people.

No matter who wins the election there is one clear loser - the American press.

No comments: