Monday, November 27, 2006

The blog post in which I alien the few Christians who still speak to me.

In the last few days I have numerous phone calls and countless emails all asking when it was appropriate to put up Christmas decorations. Now why I should be considered the fount of all things Christmas is beyond my ability to fully understand.

As someone who has never been able to remember most prayers, or which prayers constitute an Act of Contrition, and as a collapsed catholic, I hardly think I should be considered the go-to woman for all things Christ-massy.

But it just so happens that I do know. It’s really very simple. So simple, that even I know it. The Christmas season begins at Advent. Advent begins approximately the first Sunday in December and has been the same date for over a millennium – if not considerably longer.

If you claim to be a Christian, and yet, you do not know what Advent is, and when and why it begins. I have to ask - why do you celebrate Christmas in the first place?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are exactly right. Not till Advent and after you get the cob webs out of the corners. And you leave the tree up till after the Epiphany.

Michael said...

I'm not a Christian, so I'll ask: What is Advent? And why are all of the Catholics I know "lapsed?"

K. Shoshana said...

Only for you Michael.

The Christian year follows the life of Jesus (except what is refered to as the Eastern Rite Churches - who still follow the the life cycle of Jesus but in a slightly different order - I believe their church year starts around September. For example, the Lebanese Maronites are considered a Catholic church but their priests are allowed to marry. Explaining the various rites among the "orthodox" churches is like attempting to define all the different styles of Orthodoxy in Judaism.

Advent represents the beginning of the cycle and the countdown to the nativity of Jesus or his birth and even in all the different protestant ones use this same concept.

Its fundmental to Christmas. Why so many Christians don't know this is beyond my ability to comprehend.

As far as "lapsed" goes a great many are not, and I think its important to point out I am "collasped" not lapsed -lapsed implies I could always get back on track. When the foundation of building has crumbled one cannot rebuild over the rubble.

K. Shoshana said...

Glenda, what would I do without your support?

Michael said...

Thanks for the explanation. Very interesting.

I guess "Orthodox" must be Latin or Greek for "religious fundies who never agree with each other."