Friday, March 24, 2006

Bored of the Rings

The Globe and Mail and the Toronto Star have both waded in on Lord of the Rights – The Musical and pronounced it boring despite its’ $28 million price tag. I ask if anyone is truly and really surprised?

It took multiple attempts for movie makers to finally turn out a half-way decent film on the Lord of the Rings, and then, it still took 3 – 3 hour movies to tell the tale. I think my son called it right last summer when he saw the billboards that were advertising LOTR: The Musical and said, “Some things are just wrong.”

Well, actually I am relieved in a way. If nothing else perhaps this will put the kibosh on the current provincial liberal government’s attempts to become theatre promoters and discourage future provincial governments from going down the same path holding the taxpayer’s purse wide open but considering that I live in a province whose motto should be “Yours to Plunder” I will not be holding my breath.

No comments: