Wednesday, June 25, 2008

And don’t bother telling me to buck-up – I’m his mother.

For almost 17 years I have been a mother and unless you have traveled down that road it is hard to explain how the experience eclipses everything you were once. Even harder than being a mother is recognizing there comes a time in a beloved child’s life when the only action you need to take is to step back and let them fly.

I reached this milestone recently. My beloved son, resident ‘man’ and 15 year old son has left home to spend an indefinite summer sojourn at Broom Central. I say indefinite because the length of his visit depends entirely on his own inclination and the tolerance level of the head Broomer. And while I feel blessed that there is a place where I can let him fly under the watchful guise of others…I sure do wish he had grown-up to learn one ancient and elemental lesson - always call home to say you have arrived safely.

No comments: