Friday, January 18, 2008

A new keyholder

There is a new poster at the Last Amazon. I have been reading a writer called Naftali for the last couple of months. One of the things I enjoyed about his writings was how he juxtaposed Torah with world events and the lives we live around us. Sometimes, he uses well-known stories from the Torah, other times he expands on how the law should apply in life and sometimes he just shares a little of himself. My biggest complaint against Naftali is that he does not write often enough to suit me, which is why I offered him the keys to the blog.

This post, while written as a backdrop for dating Jewish (at his own site) also has a greater application and message for the wider world as well. In fact, this post really resonated with my heartstrings. Why? Because it is exactly the same advice my grandparents gave to me over 30 years ago. Although I strayed from the strict application of it from time to time, and then, usually to my sorrow. It is also the same message I have been trying to pass on to my own teenager daughter and sons.

At 45, I have met scores of women who have never been married though they wanted to be. It is not that these women rarely have had dates or even that they cannot get a date. Often these women have been in 'serious' relationships, and some of them, were even in long-term common-law relationships which eventually soured, but in all that time, no one ever asked them to marry them. As outrageous as it appears to me, most of these women have looked at me - the serial widow, with envy. Why? Because, in spite of all my flaws, inadequacies, and short-comings; I am obviously the marrying kind of gal.

I cannot count the legions of men I have met in the course of my life; who married their party girls, and discovered to their dismay that both betrayal and sorrow has a distinct taste and flavour in the human heart. I have seen many men pour every inch of their heart, mind and soul into these women, and at the end of the day, receive even less than a party favour in return. And if unrequited love is a bitter pill to sallow; it is absolutely saccharine compared to being the child of the party gal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you born profound, or did you stumble upon an oracle somewhere?

OC

K. Shoshana said...

Well, I doubt I am all that profound or wise considering I did manage to marry 3 men who didn't have life insurance - though I do vaguely recall receiving an 8 ball as a child...