Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Continued Adventures in Movieland

I have a whole series of semi-serious posts which I have yet to finish, and in fact, probably won’t finish just because it flat out bores me. What I want to talk about is my continued adventures in movie land.

Yesterday, the Last Amazon and I went to see what I call a really good movie, and surprisingly; Hollywood made it with no sex, little profanity and minimal scenes of bloodshed. Even more remarkable was the use of violence…it was more suggested rather than played out graphically before your very eyes. I completely forgot what it was like to watch a really good storyline unfold and tie you up in knots, well – in my case, it was my twizzlers which ended up in knots. A word to the wise, if the movie theatre only sells ‘rainbow’ flavoured Twizzlers - do not purchase these under any circumstances.

The Last Amazon and I were so engaged in the movie we forgot we were in a public theatre and started to act like we do when we are at home. In other words, we started shouting out at the screen, and even more remarkably we did it both at the same time with the same words – kill the dog now! At one point, the Last Amazon got so tense that she ended up spilling her entire bag of overpriced popcorn over the two of us.

So what was the movie? I am Legend with Will Smith. Smith deserves an Oscar for this performance, but he will probably not even make the shortlist for best male actor when Oscar time rolls around. Pretentious gobblie-gook like Atonement or No Country for Old Men will carry the nomination process forward and carry the statute homeward. For the most part, Hollywood has forgotten what it needs to do to entertain audiences, and a movie must entertain before one gets an opportunity to engage or educate the audience.

Speaking of No Country for Old Men, I managed to get it knocked off the Last Amazon’s “must-see” list for the season. I found an online version which we watched yesterday morning. We both clocked out after approximately 29 minutes as we had our fill of both gore and bore. I wish someone would point out to all Hollywood film directors that if a film takes more 29 minutes to get beyond mind-numbing boredom part it just isn’t worth shelling out $10-$12 in the movie theatres for. Now if only I could do the same for P.S. I Love You or The Kite Runner I suspect I would be a very happy Momma.

No comments: