Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Chicken Chronicles

Last night, I was in a hurry and ran into my local bargain grocery stores in search of inspiration for dinner. Chicken breasts were on sale and I brought home around 3 ½ pounds for dinner for under $5 which is really cheap here.

As I took the chicken out of the plastic wrap and got ready to wash, I noticed it had to be some of the worst plucked chicken pieces I had ever seen. I know plucking a chicken is a big pain in the butt. I had a grandmother who not only taught me to cook but insisted I learn how to pluck a chicken or clean fish properly. But this was crazy. I actually had to soak the chicken in cold water so I could pull out the remnants of the feathers.

My mind, never content with leaving well enough alone, had to start to wonder if the store got the chicken so cheap because it was so badly plucked it could not be offered in any of the big name supermarkets. Then I got to wondering; who plucks chickens this badly? Of course, it crossed my mind to speculate if we are now buying chickens from China. And even if we are not buying chicken from China; where are our standards?

I got myself so worked up I couldn’t eat the chicken. Then I shared with worries about the chicken with my daughter, the Last Amazon, because that is what a mother does. She shares her worries. Now the Last Amazon is an incredibly picky eater and has a real phobia about germs/bacteria in general – too much science too early can do that to a teenager. So now I had this wonderful dinner all centered on the chicken which two of us won’t eat. The boys did not seem troubled at all with any of my concerns and they literally stepped up and cleaned the plates.

The Last Amazon looked a crossed the table at me and asked if I knew what this meant? Not to buy chicken on sale at the bargain grocery store again? Apparently, that was the wrong answer. So I tried again and still struck out. Eventually, she suggested I only buy chicken and meat from kosher butcher shops. And I groaned. I have been fighting this for a long time. It is not that I don’t like kosher meats. I grew up eating kosher meat, and not for any religious reasons, but give my grandmother a choice between a kosher and a non-kosher meat; she always took the kosher butcher’s meat for two reasons. She was guaranteed a certain standard in preparation and it tasted better when cooked.

I don’t live in a Jewish neighborhood; in fact, I live far from outer edges of one. I don’t drive and it is too far to ride my bike in this weather. This means I would have to take the public transit. The issue with taking public transit for any extended rides, is because, I only stand at most people’s armpit level. Already I am groaning thinking about it. And then, when I think of amount of meat I would have to buy and lug home on a regular basis just to keep the boys filled it becomes like a trial out of the Odysseys. Then there is the whole price issue…but in the end, I realize this is just another thing I am going to have to suck up. I can hear the echo of my grandmother’s voice in my mind saying she told me so. And even though it has been over 15 years since I could call her on the telephone or drop in at the house; it hurts just as if it happened yesterday.

4 comments:

Naftali said...

This will leave quite an impression on your family.

Mazel Tov. Hashem works in mysterious
ways....

Chris Taylor said...

Feathers-in-packaged chicken is kinda gross. If you'd received the hen whole and had to pluck and dismember it, that's one thing. To get a "butchered" chicken in a not-quite-completed state is a little unnerving, though. Kind of like purchasing a new car and finding out on delivery day that the brakes and tires must be installed on your own. Is it unsafe? Not necessarily, but it's not arriving in the condition one habitually expects.

I would have tossed the chicken and bought a new one, personally. Not because I really suspect something was off, but why subject yourself to needless worry that can be solved with a couple more bucks.

K. Shoshana said...

Chris, I was really tempted to just toss the meal, and if I didn't have the boys clamouring to be feed, I probably would have....that said, I really think all things being equal, I'd rather trust in the rabbinical authority per say rather than take my chances blind in the supermarket....I know a fair amount about what is entailed in the process of kashruting meat and poultry. Frankly, I think we would all be a great deal safer if we followed those rules.

I'll be smug, everytime I read these horror stories about pork (think of the Picton murders for example) I feel safe and clean not to eat it.

Chris Taylor said...

I could not give up pork. Bacon is irresistible.

And it would also mean giving up the cheap laughs of ordering veggie burgers with cheese and bacon. Sometimes the wait staff or the cook second-guess the order and cancel the bacon on their own initiative, because veggie burger + bacon = does not compute.