Tuesday, January 10, 2006

About that gripping televised debate last night...

Last night being Monday, meant me and boys were watching Stargate Atlantis from 8-9pm. After it ended the boys went off to their rooms for the night. I moved from the sofa to computer to play computer games. At 9:25 pm oldest son comes out of his room and asks me why I am not watching the Canadian leadership debate. I answer; it blows. Son says because I am the only one in the house who can vote I have an obligation to sit down and watch it, and turns off the computer on me. He tries to console me by saying he’ll stay with me while I watch it.

So son turns on the television during the Quebec phase of the debate and I lasted ten minutes before the big sleep overtook me. I did have a few thoughts before I succombed to the inevitable.

1) Stephen Harper reminds me of Mr. Rogers and he is also the first person I have ever met whose facial expression and demeanor is not improved by smiling. Someone needs to send a memo to his handlers that he should never be allowed to smile and debate at the same time on public television. The aesthetics of Harper debating and smiling is just sooo very visually unappealing.

2) Kudos to Jack Layton for not stroking either his mustache or his tie while he spoke in this debate. That irritated me beyond belief during the televised debates of the last election. While I was watching Layton speak I was struck by the thought that if he suddenly said, “Noooobodddyyyy Beats Baaaaad Boy’s Prices” my jaw wouldn’t drop in the slightest hint of surprise or shock. If the NDP leadership thing does not work out for Jack, I think he should give serious thought to making a career move to PBS. He’d be quite an asset during their annual begger-fest for memberships and funds.

3) Duceppe reminds me of a squirrel. Don’t ask why. He just does.

4) Paul Martin. I really think I have seriously misjudged Paul Martin’s potential. What’s even sadder is I think that Paul Martin misjudged his own potential. And now, it’s just too late. He could have been a Mime with the Cirque de Soliel and ended the twilight of career as Dean of Clowns in this uniquely Canadian institution instead of political ignominy.

No comments: