Wednesday, January 19, 2005

The Morning Rush Hour Just Got Easier

Among all my many failings, there is one bad habit I commit on a regular basis. Upon rising, I usually don’t make my bed unless company is coming. That being said, I still duke it out with the sons in the morning rush to have the boys make theirs. Now I think that my efforts have been entirely misguided:
Research suggests that while an unmade bed may look scruffy it is also unappealing to house dust mites thought to cause asthma and other allergies. A Kingston University study discovered the bugs cannot survive in the warm, dry conditions found in an unmade bed. The average bed could be home to up to 1.5 million house dust mites. The bugs, which are less than a millimetre long, feed on scales of human skin and produce allergens which are easily inhaled during sleep. The warm, damp conditions created in an occupied bed are ideal for the creatures, but they are less likely to thrive when moisture is in shorter supply.

(tipped off by Israellycool)

1 comment:

Chris Taylor said...

Awesome. I never make my bed either. Who knew that laziness would pay off in the end?

I'm going to forward this to my mom.