Saturday, January 15, 2005

China - Canada: what's the difference?

I had one of those huh moments when reading an online Toronto Star article about a reporter and a camera man from New Tang Dynasty Television Canada that wanted to accompany Prime Minister Martin on his upcoming China Trade Mission trip. The Chinese government without explanation pulled the visas for the reporter and cameraman. Danielle Zhu of New Tang Dynasty Television Canada is quoted as saying:
Danielle Zhu and David Ren say the withdrawal of their visas shows how far the Chinese Communist government will go to quash freedom of the press. "I came to Canada in search for freedom," said Zhu, near tears. "And now I found that even with a Canadian passport, I'm not enjoying full freedom like I should be ... because Chinese power has extended to Canada."

All I can do is hope that the Canada Press reporter misquoted Danielle Zhu because I would shutter to think that Ms. Zhu is so deluded that she cannot comprehend that China is a totalitarian communist state; and as such, Freedom of the Press is not a given. Canada, soft power or not, cannot control the internal laws of another sovereign state. It is the prerogative of all sovereign states to determine who enters and when. As such, the Chinese government exercising their visa laws does not mean that the Chinese government has extended its control into Canada - at least not by this act. Once they buy up the country she might have a point.

2 comments:

Gordon Pasha said...

Danielle shouldn't be so worried. With an intellect like hers, and with that sort of worldview (I'm Canadian so the whole world must recognize my superiority), she stands a good chance of landing a job at the Mother Corp.

K. Shoshana said...

Justin, I live in Toronto, Ontario