Monday, January 03, 2005

Getting a leg up on trends for the ages or old boobs

One of the most popular posts I had made in the past year was called Tattoos Today and Topless Tomorrows. I am not sure why this post has grabbed the most attention, but there it is. Apparently it comes in quite high on a search of "topless tomorrows" or "old topless women". Really it was just a short piece on middle aged women being the big growth market for tattoos and the Romanian government banning 60+ year old women from going topless on the beach as it is said to put off the tourists. I couldn't imagine for the life of me why anyone would type in "old topless women" and want to get a gander at what websites featured that. It always made me smile and I thought it was such a lark that they found the Last Amazon instead.

I was discussing this with a friend and he suggested that I really ought to find out what is listed there but being the modest, fearful type, I deferred and designated the job to him. Being in early middle-age I prefer that the future remain a mystery better experienced by getting there rather than having to live in fear for the future. He emailed this story and advised that this Ananova story is No. 1 on the list:
Woman, 75, upsets neighbours by cooking topless

A 75-year-old woman has upset her neighbours in southern China by cooking topless on her apartment balcony. Neighbours complained to local authorities about the woman who cooks topless even in icy weather on the balcony of her home in Dongguan.

The widow appeared to be polite and intelligent in all respects other than her tendency to remove her top before cooking out of doors, the Southern Metropolis News said.

The neighbourhood committee talked to the woman but she told them it was "nobody's business" how she dressed at home. Explaining why she cooked topless, the woman reportedly quoted an old Chinese saying which goes: "Women over the age of 40 are like men."

Which really makes me think that there is a dubious value to old Chinese proverbs that I had not considered before. I haven't a clue if this story is true or not, but I am calling my mother and giving her one last chance to get hip.

No comments: