Thursday, December 20, 2007

Remind me never to eat in North Carolina.

I admit I have a bias against pigs but this news tidbit just grossest me flat-out. My stomach is churning just thinking about. My stomacheFox News:
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- New data shows that pigs and hogs still outnumber people in North Carolina.

The U.S. Census Bureau released updated statistics Thursday in its latest edition of the Statistical Abstract of the United States. The report in an official summary of data that includes population and mortality rates, along with more abstract data.

For example, there were almost 8.9 million people living in North Carolina in 2006, compared to 9.5 million pigs and hogs. That's second only to Iowa, which has 17.2 million.
Given the hog population, I am not surprised at all to learn that North Carolina also has the 4th highest infant mortality rate in the US.

No comments: