Thursday, December 27, 2007

Egged on... or Lost in Translation?

It is not a secret that I read Israeli papers on a daily basis but what might not be widely known is that I do read articles other than the latest kassam attacks, bombings, knifings, murders, highway sniper attacks, lynching news. And every once in a while I read something in an Israeli paper which makes me think it’s a new installment of Grim’s Fairy Tales.

This Ynet News story is the case in point.
Parliamentary aide to MK Nadia Hilou forced to leave post after his ultra-Orthodox future in-laws threatened to cancel the wedding if he continued to work for an Arab. Hilou: 'I never believed that racism would arrive at my doorstep'

There are a number of distinct possibilities here. Ynet News believes its readers have the lowest collective IQ in the known world. The Israeli Labour party has a litmus test for stupidity and MK Hilous passes with flying dumbness. MK Hilous accepts this decidedly stupid resignation story because she is an idiot with a chip on her shoulder. Or MK Hilous seizes the possibility to manipulate an employee’s resignation in order to twist and the victim card. Or her former employee is making it all up for reasons not known at this time.
Here is the money quote which exposes this story as an outright sham:
The aide in question asked to explain his side of the story to Ynet: "I'm secular, my girlfriend is a religious Breslav and her family is even more religious than she is. I grew up in Haifa with Arabs my whole life and I have no problem with them. I have good friends who are Arabs. I didn't think that working for an Arab MK would be a problem for my girlfriend's family." The assistant spoke about his attempts to dissuade the family from issuing their ultimatum. "I argued with them and tried to convince them. I told them that even Joseph worked for Pharaoh. "Unfortunately, it didn't work and it wasn't worth losing her over. It was extremely difficult for me to tell this to Nadia - she is truly doing blessed work in her capacity as a parliamentarian."

This might be believable but only if you have absolutely no concept of a Breslover Jew. I know Breslovers. It stretches the bounds of imagination to believe a ‘religious’ Breslover woman would ever even consider the possibility of a match with a ‘secular’ Jew – let alone have her parents and family agree to such a marriage unless he was 1) Baal Teshuva, and 2) agreed to make a commitment to the Breslover tradition. Even then, there is no way this would be a rushed match in order to ensure the ‘secular’ Jew didn’t once again become ‘secular’. I cannot see working for an “Arab” would be as much as an issue as having a boss who is a ‘woman’. Of course, not one word in this fairy tale will ring false to the Israel is Apartheid crowd.

2 comments:

Balbulican said...

There, you see? Just one of those little theological complexities that you unperfected types can't be expected to fathom.

In contemplating events such as this, or priestly buggery, or Vatican fiscal corruption, one really must wonder about the redemptive and transformative properties of certain religions.

Balbulican said...

Whooops, responded to the wrong thread. Sorry!!