Friday, December 14, 2007

Because I am a giver

Earlier in the week I was looking for a gift for my recently turned 15th year old son and I wandered into Canadian Tire near my work and discovered a Dr. Scholl’s full length Massage Pad was on sale for $50 (in store sale only).

I couldn’t resist. When he comes home from his part-time job on the weekend he is utterly exhausted and can do nothing more than collapse on the couch and moan. Basically, he has stood anywhere from 14-16 hours. The massage pad just seemed like a good idea so I bought it. I carried it back to the office and left it by the side of my desk.

Every single man who walked by my desk had to do a double-take and read the box. Then they called other men over. Never had I had so many offers to test out a gift before I gave it to my son….after all, we wouldn’t want it to have a ‘short’ or have him disappointed because it did not work. Who knew the men in my office were such givers?

Then the day ends and I decide to take the bus home because I am carrying this big box. I am standing in line but I can’t help noticing this man is staring hard at my box. It’s obvious he’s reading all about the pad. I pipe up it also is heat activated with a hand control remote -a present for my son. He goes ‘ah’….and I get swarmed by a dozen men all wanting to know about the pad.

The bus shows up and I spend an entertaining 15 minutes surrounded by males who complain and joke about the kind of gifts they regularly receive from their wives, girlfriends, mothers and sisters. I also received a proposal of marriage and a plea for adoption before I got off the bus. I don’t think I will ever buy cologne, aftershave, socks or a sweater for another man as a gift as long as I live. Oh, and a shirt and tie…just don’t it ladies. And what did my man think of his gift? He says “ah” a lot when he uses it. He also has taken to carrying it everywhere in the house. He is never seen without it and he hides it before he leaves the house. He has already threatened to pulverize his younger brother to smithereens if Isaiah Sender merely touches it. In menspeak, this means he really, really likes it.

Ultimate affordable man gift - a full length massage pad. Who knew?

No comments: