Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A thought on kinder, gentler war and the jihad

I currently have around 75 books lying around the house unread and another 25 only partially read. I don’t know if I will ever finish at the rate I am going. Every week I seem to find another book I really must have, and so the piles grow and grow.

One of the books I have only partially read is called Samson Blinded: A Machiavellian Perspective on the Middle East Conflict by Obadiah Shoher. I am not prepared to give an opinion on Shoher’s ideas until I have finished reading the book and had a little time to mull it over, but I came to this paragraph today and it struck a cord in light of our own national dialogue and the role of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan:
Israel’s failure in Lebanon and the Soviet Union’s in Afghanistan, the two cases of successful defensive jihad after centuries of Muslim impotence have the same cause: the unwillingness of the stronger power to wage normal war, which let defenders hide among the civilians and strike at leisure. The only way to fight a war is brutally. The choice is not between humaneness and cruelty but between waging war and surrender. Starting a war without being prepared to fight it is a recipe for failure, emboldening jihadi.

I have no doubts that our armed forces can carry out the mission but are we, as a nation and a people, prepared to let them do what needs to be done to win? I think not. We are still far too busy trying to remake and sanitize the nature of war.

No comments: