Monday, May 21, 2007

Those crude, primitive, home-made ineffectual kassams

Car hit near commercial center (Photo: AFP)

I want to point out that Sderot sits firmly inside the Green Line of pre-1967 Israel. At no time would the city of Sderot be on the negotiating table if final status negotiations were to be held by the Israelis and Palestinians. And yet, it is not the Jewish settlement communities of the West Bank which are under kassam fire but Israel. To me, its not a great stretch to ponder why; as I have never believed the Fatah, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestinian or whatever the Palestinian terrorists are calling themselves this week ever sought a true two-state solution. If they had been there would have been one in 1948 or 2000.

Ynet News is reporting another fatality due to the kassams launched from the Gaza Strip.
A 35-year-old woman was killed and another man was moderately injured Monday evening as a Qassam rocket hit a car at a commercial center in the southern town of Sderot, near a bakery. Five rockets were fired at the southern town at around 8 pm.Two landed south of Ashkelon, one landed in Sderot and two in the western Negev.

An hour and a half later, three additional rockets were fired from Gaza, landing near one of the kibbutzim in the western Negev. Two more rockets were fired at around 10:30 pm. There were no reports of injuries. The woman killed in the attack suffered from injuries to her limbs and stomach. She was evacuated by a Magen David Adom crew to the Barzilay Medical Center in Ashkelon, where she died from her wounds. Another man injured by shrapnel was also evacuated to hospital. Twelve people were treated for shock.
(…)
The Salah al-Din Brigades, the Popular Resistance Committees' military wing, claimed responsibility for the rocket attacks. About 17 rockets have been fired from the Gaza Strip since Monday morning. Sderot residents said that the rocket alert system was not activated before the rockets landed in the city. Tova Malka, the secretary of Mayor Eli Moyal, was at the landing site. "I left work and arrived at the center in order to drop off a good friend. He just got off and I continued driving, when I suddenly heard an explosion. My head flew forward and I hit it," she said.

Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and EU foreign policy chief were treated to the sight of Israelis protesting against the government which has allowed this intolerable situation to fester and persist:
Dozens of Sderot residents demonstrated in the center of the city following the fatal rocket attack. The protestors clashed with police as the convoy of Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana passed by.

During the clashes, the protestors hurled stones at the municipality building. Dozens of youths tried to break into the building, and when they realized the door was locked, they smashed a large vase on it. A number of workers were trapped in the building.

Yosef Timsit, whose wife Colette was seriously injured in a rocket attack last week, fainted during the demonstration. "I came to Sderot from the hospital. I heard on the news that a woman was killed. I have never taken part in demonstrations, but I am in pain and it’s my right to protest. I have nothing, I have no home, I have been sleeping in my car for a week.

No comments: