Saturday, September 16, 2006

Sanity, Madness and the Muslims

I admit I have a hard time warming up to current pope and I wouldn’t have voted for him, but then again, I don’t have a say and the Catholic Church makes no pretense of being a democracy.

The hoopla over the Pope’s quote of a 15th Byzantine emperor is absurd. Muslims who are protesting, rioting and firebombing churches need to get a grip on sanity.

The calls for the Pope to issue an apology are equally absurd, but the Pope being the Pope will no doubt apologize but what is he really going to apologize for? By that I mean; is he to apologize for what someone else said a really, really, long time ago or for repeating what someone said a really, really, long time ago?

Damned if I get it.

Increasingly, I find myself thinking that the West should be marshalling teams of psychiatrists for immediate deployment to Muslim nations or into Muslim communities in the West to help these people come to grips with the fact that the 7th century has ended and is never coming back.

The psych commando units could have practicing psychiatrists drawn from all of the major psychiatric theorists. I can picture it now; the 101st Jung, 66th Freud and 78th Adler battalions to start. No doubt it would be probably be wise to give them basic firearms and explosive training as well – just in case of fatwas.

No comments: