Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

I have no 9/11 posts. I find myself increasingly reluctant to join 9/11 memorial events whether in the blogsphere or in real life. It’s not that the event did not have any impact on my life or the victims themselves are not somehow worthy of remembrance. I have been wrestling with the 'why' I am so reluctant to join and my frustration with today's events.

9/11 was the first large scale offensive by a group of Islamic Fascists on civilian targets who had declared war not just on the United States but the entire Western World. The war is not over by a long shot, if anything, it has hardly begun. Five years in and already there are increasing calls for 'dialogue' with our enemies. How one finds common ground with a group that calls for your death is beyond my ability to fathom.

I do not understand those who have so utterly intellectually disarmed themselves that they are perfectly content to calmly accept every blow or stone of appeasement which our enemies lobby and call it deserved. Pre- 9/11, I would have been quite content to let the Left dialogue themselves all the way to oblivion; but the problem of ‘now’ is that appeasement requires my family and love ones to be offered up as sacrificial lambs to their discourses.

I find that I am angrier now, than I was then, but the source of my fury has spread from the original perpetrators and now includes those same people who seek to prolong this war by their calls for "restraint" and "dialogue", or those who refuse to acknowledge there is even a war on, and finally, with those who will not just get on with it, and do what has to be done in a war without going all wobbly. Five years later and the war is a long way from over. There is a phase that keeps bouncing around in my head: "I will mourn my loved ones when our enemies are vanquished."

3 comments:

Sue said...

Everyone has their own way to work through it, and there is no right or wrong. For me, I have found I needed to write and write a lot. Not just about the events and the people, but anything and everything.

I also share the anger. I have a short fuse for those who want us to 'get over it'. Before 9/11 I was much more easy going. Now, I find, I have a low tolerance for those who ostrich themselves.

K. Shoshana said...

I agree that everyone has there own way of working through grief. Lord knows, I have been writing out mine for years. I guess what I can't my head around is the Lady Di-ification of 9/11. There is something about that jars me about it when we are in the middle of a war.

Mind you, having said that OceanGuy.us has a moving tribute to his friend who fell at the Pentagon moving and Winston at the Spirit of Man has pictures and a post of the Iranian people in Iran who held a candlelight vigil for the American victims of 9/11 a few days after the fact. It seems the regime punished them for doing so.

http://thespiritofman.blogspot.com/2006/09/me-911-and-iran.html

http://www.oceanguy.us/archives/001694.php

NotClauswitz said...

I'm mad, angry, and furious - worse than the ostriches are the smug and brain-dead Conspiratistas, that's not even a way to "work through it" - it's a whole damned "Protocols of the Elders Of Nuthouse" all over again.