Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Papal Intifada Watch 2

The BBC has a slideshow of “anti-pope protest” pictures from around the world.

I have been waiting for days for the Toronto Star’s editorial board to comment on the Papal Intifada. And not because I expected any wisdom from heaven to fall off the page as manna fell from the skies (after all it is the Toronto Star) but I have been taking bets on how long the editorial staff would hold out before it was forced to offer some commentary.

The Toronto Star finally succumbed today, and I have to own up to a tad bit of disappointment since the T-Star chose to farm out the op-ed to a couple of outsiders rather than put the editorial board in the driver’s seat. You can read the full editorial here but I can save you a few minutes by summing it up like this; the standard wife beater’s defense is invoked.

You know the one, where the husband terrorizes his wife and children so thoroughly that they are convinced every time he beats them to a bloody pulp it is their entire fault for making him just so mad. Ironically, the piece ends with a call to all moderate Muslims (wherever they maybe hiding) not to lose an opportunity to show the world that Islam has another face and can turn a cheek as well as the next faith.

I am going to have to ask for some pre-emptive Islamic forgiveness here because I am just not feeling the love or seeing the other cheek – I think the burqa’s in the way.

No comments: