Wednesday, September 20, 2006

If I can’t get a fatwa, I’ll settle for trial

The first reference I saw to this story was at Relapsed Catholic and I am ashamed to say I didn’t click in. It wasn’t until I noticed the little blurb at the National News Watch that I clued in.

Regular readers of the Last Amazon know that I am in the process of writing a book, and hoped to be done by December. Or I was until my hard drive fried its circuits and took my unbacked up finished chapters with it. Without giving too much away the main character in my story is a Mal’akh Ha’maret (excuse my Hebrew – I am still struggling with plurals) or an Angel of Death.

I don’t know how other writers write (and to be honest, I just don’t care) but for me, I have literally have seen every thing I want to write already in my mind’s eye. Before I actually sat down to write the first words, I was able to write an outline of each of the 21 chapters of my book so I know exactly what how each chapter is to flow into the next part of the story.

Now I will admit that in the process of writing each chapter things happen that surprise me. Some things come to light or thought that weren’t part of my original vision but they either work or they don’t. The beauty of writing is that I can put in anything I want – after all, it’s my mind’s eye. Since my main character is Angel of Death I certainly can work in the Armenian genocide angle. What can I say? The idea of any country hoping to join the European Union would actually think it’s a good thing to put a writer on trial in 2006 for a what a couple of fictional characters say in her novel is just so 7th century of them that I am so game. Maybe I can get Occam to defend me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww...you lost your chapters. Karma's a bitch, isn't it?

And to think I read part of your blog because you had the SOW graphic.

Too bad you don't believe in freedom of speech. I dare you to approve this comment.

ENLIST.

K. Shoshana said...

Seriously Dude, I am just not feeling the love here.

Let's get this straight, my blog, my rules. My blog isn't a bully pulpit for lesser beings to climb on their high horse and shout down to the rest of us. Want to do that - get your own blog.

Furthermore, I suggest your own holy mantra should be not to drink and comment at the same time - it muddles the message.