Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The unintended consequences of the Bambi cult

One of my daily stops is Dust My Broom and this raised my ire for the morn. (tipped off by Will Goodon)

Given a choice between a moose or a deer; Bullwinkle wins every time over Bambi but I recognize that’s just me. Who knows, maybe it is because so few Canadians have ever seen a moose except on television and the deer are literally everywhere from the backyards to the highways to the zoos.

One of my beloved grandfathers was a fur trapper and wood’s guide. He was also a life long conservationist long before the sixties made environmental issues fashionable. It’s natural today to presume that being a fur trapper and hunter is incompatible with being a conservationist though it has been my experience that those who live closest to the land and rely on the bounty of the land are the most concerned with the health of the land.

Now Darcey’s piece focuses on the misconception that Metis hunting moose have lead to a direct decline of the moose population in Manitoba. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the explosion in the deer population in Manitoba was one of those annoying unintended consequences of a too heavily regulated deer hunting. Think I am out on left field? Think bear.

4 comments:

Will Goodon said...

Good points, thanks for taking the time to consider this. If only the reporters would consider this stuff (like motives) before pushing it out.

Darcey said...

Your not in left field at all!

NotClauswitz said...

You're supposed to hunt deer, they're oversized rats with hoofs and pointy head-gear. Everyone needs to be issued a rifle and some ammo, the deer need killin'. Feed the homeless venison steaks and deer-stew.

K. Shoshana said...

I am going to find some recipes for vension to post.