Thursday, October 20, 2005

No, I don't have a penis

But, I have been known to breathe through my mouth when the occasion warrants it, and being the angry white male mouth-breather type that I am (according to one political bully and perpetual Canadian adolescent) I could not resist reading a National Post article that was profiling Mark Steyn for their upcoming November "Beautiful Minds" contest; even if it didn’t cause an erection.

The profile is adequate as far as it goes, but I really did take exception to this:
Steyn is the Lancelot of the West's virtual Round Table in the battle against political correctness.

Lancelot? For all those with an inadequate Canadian public education, Lancelot was the greatest warrior and most trusted of all the Knights of the Round Table by King Arthur. He acted as the King’s Champion and rewarded the King’s trust and favour by conducting an adulterous affair with Arthur’s much beloved Queen. Hence, Lancelot’s betrayal rendered the first irreparable tear in the fabric of life that was Camelot.

Doesn’t sound like Steyn; I’d peg him as a Galahad or even a Gawaine but never a Lancelot.

2 comments:

glenda said...

In light of our parallel lives what writers of Arthurian tales do you most enjoy?

K. Shoshana said...

I actually own a really nice copy of La Morte d'Arthur by Mallory pubished in 1835.

But as far as modern Arthurian tales go; I liked Mary Stewart's Merlin series, I have just finished reading Cornwall's Arthurian version, though I must say, I thought he did much better with Sharpe books than Arthur, but it was alright. And I remember reading MZ Bradley's Mists of Avalon about 10 years ago which I enjoyed at the time - but I am not sure I would today.