Monday, October 17, 2005

It's official, I'm a Dinosaur

Saturday afternoon I was out with the youngest looking for a Halloween costume to wear for his last Halloween. Next July he will turn the magic age of 12 which means in my household that your days collecting candy end and your turn at the door giving it out begins.

Lunch time came and went and the child was famished so I did what I rarely do and ventured into McDonald's. Things were going well. The line-up and wait was not overtly arduous and we found a seat at a table easily enough. The Dread proceeded to eat his meal and we were chatting when a group of unremarkable and average teenage girls took the table beside us. The conversation between us stopped once they opened their mouths. Their entire conversation was one loud long string of profanity. Eventually, I remarked to son when I was a young using profanity in any kind of restaurant was enough to get turfed from your meal by the manager and it’s a pity that times have changed so radically.

It’s not that I cannot see the point of a few cuss words when used judiciously - when the occasion warrants it. I have made use of a cuss word or two but I do not incorporate cussing as part of my ordinary conversational vocabulary, but why do our young do so? Being the dinosaur that I am; I just don’t get it.

No comments: