Monday, October 03, 2005

Back from the Black

We are now, back from the black. For those not in the verse that translates into the Tribe and I went to the movies and saw Serenity. It is rare for me to venture into the theatres and the children go more than I. The last movie I saw this year was The Merchant of Venice with the Last Amazon last winter. I went along as emotional support as friends and both brothers bailed.

There are valid reasons why I don’t go to movie theatres. I can’t stand the places and I hate the crowds. Sitting in a cold dark theatre with my knees cramped up for two hours surrounded by munching strangers with no control over the remote just doesn’t hold the appeal that my own over stuffed sofa does. Besides when I inevitably fall asleep, I don’t wake up with a cramp in my neck from the sofa. And, I like my popcorn fresh.

We were originally going to go on Friday night. I came home, made dinner and then sat on the sofa to watch the news and promptly feel asleep. CNN does that to me every single time. Apparently, the tribe took a vote and decided not to wake me as they thought the odds were that if they woke me up and we went to the theatre no matter how good the movie was I’d sleep through half of it. The last movies I didn’t fall asleep watching in the theatre were Master & Commander and the Pokemon movie – the noise from Pokemon audience was simply jarring, and M&C held the ‘nerd in me’ captive by the screen in an alternative time zone. No doubt it didn’t hurt that we saw it in the day though if I recall correctly two of the tribe did nap.

I loved Firefly. I think the decision to axe this series has to rank as the all time most stupid decision ever taken by network television executives and if there is justice in the world; they are now cleaning toilets at the Hollywood Bowl. I have been waiting months for this movie. Did I love it? Absolutely, but I left the theatre completely unsatisfied.

I had seen three different versions of the trailers prior to seeing the movie and I thought I knew every direction the plot would play out and I had read some spoilers per say but guess what? I was constantly surprised. The plot carries well and the characters are strong and appealing, the dialogue fresh and snappy. No low points. The movie answers what the television series never resolved. Serenity transferred to the big screen definitely works but I left the theatre feeling I had just watched the season premiere and the dissatisfaction came from the fact that there would be no week night slot to watch what happened next. Firefly/Serenity is a journey and the fact that I can’t go along to see what happens next week irks.

Oh yeah, I hate the sound track. Where’s the Firefly theme song? I felt so cheated that when we got home I made Montana play it. For once - he’s got the voice for it.

No comments: