Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Would your mother offer to let this woman your old room?

As any regular reader of my blog knows, I am a mother. I enjoy being a mother which came as a complete shock and surprise to me. My mother had long given up the idea of ever having any grandchildren and was resigned to introducing my dog as her only grand child. If I have any regrets about having children, it is that I was so a product of my early conditioning in Trudeaupia that I did not think that being a mother was a worthwhile goal to aspire to, and therefore, I got a bit of a late start on having children. If I knew then, what I have know now; I would have had started earlier and had at least 6 children.

One of the interesting things about having children; is that it connects one to the community in ways that are not really easily imagined in a pre-childless state. There are very few mothers that I can meet that I cannot sit down with and find a common bond or point of reference. That being the case what I cannot comprehend for the life of me is what these mothers are thinking in this article in the Toronto Star:
Strangers are stepping forward to offer Karla Homolka places to live and even financial support when she's released from prison in less than two weeks, says her lawyer, Sylvie Bordelais.

The offers of help are coming mostly from women, some of them mothers, who believe that Canada's most notorious female inmate deserves a break in starting her new life after serving the full 12-year sentence for her role in the slayings of teenagers Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy, Bordelais said in a wide-ranging — and rare — interview with the Toronto Star at her office in the northeast end of this city.

While not disclosing specific details about the would-be benefactors, Bordelais said some people are even offering to share an apartment with Homolka. It's expected that the 35-year-old St. Catharines native will go on welfare and live in Montreal.

I could comprehend it, if was Homolka’s mother. What mother would willingly want to believe that a beloved child would plan and participate in the rape of her other daughter or other people’s daughters’ for the sake of her husband’s pleasure? Any defense offered by a daughter who could commit such an act would be preferable than having to face that hard cold fact. Her own mother isn’t offering Homolka her own room back, so why on earth would anyone else’s mother? Talk about bringing a whole new meaning to coming home for Christmas. The article does not say, and I can only hope, that these women or mothers are either Quakers or members of the Salvation Army as the members of both these groups have made an art form out of forgiveness. Otherwise, how else could one sleep safe at night knowing that your own death may just be a few feet away?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mothers are no better than anyone else. Being a mom and bearing children does not grant one moral superiority over any other person.