Monday, June 06, 2005

The Red Ensign Standard Rises over West Coast Chaos

Temujin at West Coast Chaos hoists the The Red Ensign Standard Volume No. 23 and ask the question:
Why do I care about the history of my country? It is because my nation has a proud past. Why will I take a moment of silence today to remember D-Day? Because something extraordinary happened on that day. The numbers I read state that that were 1074 fatal and non-fatal casualties in the Canadian Army on that day. Those men served honourably under the banner of the Red Ensign. They did so to free Western Europe from a tyrant, and prevent said tyrant from undermining the freedoms they held dear. Their efforts, and the efforts of the entire force of British, American, and Canadian soldiers on that day, secured a third front against Hitler. It effectively assured victory in Europe for the Allies. I will take a moment of silence today. And then, I will carry on with my day. I can do so because of what they did. I will not forget.

Here, here! Go forth and read the rest here.

No comments: