Tuesday, June 26, 2007

No doubt PETA would be proud

Reading the Israeli papers I have often read comments alleging Arab MK’s are a fifth column in the heart of the Jewish state but until I read this Ynet News article I didn’t realize just how flaky and frivolous some Arab MK’s can be:
MK Ahmad Tibi (United Arab List-Ta'al) proposed Tuesday that the Knesset ban MKs from wearing leather garments within its walls. Tibi proposed the act as part of the new code of ethics the Knesset wishes to issue its members. "This is a moral act that carries with it an important public message," said Tibi at the meeting held by the code of ethics committee, which discussed the proper dress code for MKs.

"If my motion is carried, MKs would not be able to come to the Knesset wearing leather coats or shoes, or sporting clothes with fur. "This is common in many workplaces around the world," said Tibi. "I was the one that introduced the motion demanding increased penalties for those abusing animals… this continues that motion. "If this motion fails, I think the MKs themselves should pledge to refrain from coming to the Knesset wearing leather clothing," he said. The committee also discussed whether or not MKs should be allowed to enter the Knesset wearing sandals.

Sporting clothes with fur – who knew? My estimation for the Israeli people just went up another notch. I am not a big sandal wearer myself as I am quite tired of listening to strangers make disparaging remarks about my toes, but if leather sandals were good enough for Ben Gurion - I say go for it - just don’t wear them with socks…

No comments: