Saturday, April 14, 2007

Out of Time

How can you tell its spring time in Toronto? The electrical power went off for about 5 minutes this morning. If the experience of the last two years is any kind of precedent to go by - this will be happening from here on in - on a twice weekly basis until the fall. It’s far too cold to run an air conditioner, so I suspect this has very little to do with over consumption of resources, and has all to do with the chronic mismanagement of the electrical company by the provincial authorities.

Only Isaiah Sender and I were awake. We sat on the sofa for a little chat and rage at the powers that be, who in their infinite political wisdom, had four years to resolve the chronic power outages and have yet to take any kind of definite action.

When the power came back on so did the television. I settled-in to watch a little Scooby-Doo with my son. I must have been around 7-8 years old when Scooby-Doo was first released as a weekend morning cartoon. I even remember reading the comics. I thought I knew all about Scooby-Doo, but this new Scooby-Doo no longer resemblances the cartoon of my childhood.

Today’s episode revolves around helping the poor misunderstood Wicca’s. There was even a nice long preachy bit concerning the history and persecution of Wicca’s. Today’s message; Wicca’s are our Hex-friends and earth-sisters.

A very old friend of mine dropped in earlier this week to visit me. We have been friends for years but have sort of drifted apart due to our lifestyles moving in separate ways in the last five years. It really started when she insisted on marrying a man who claimed to be a Druid.

Things haven’t been going very well lately so they decided a little ‘date time’ was in order to spruce up their marriage. Apparently, there are now Vampire Bars in Toronto where people go to drink their own blood but you have to bring your own syringe. I suppose is a kind of a small mercy that the bar does not supply the syringes. No doubt the blood drinkers are merely misunderstood too.

Next week’s date is to take place in some kind of S&M bar and she wants me to go with her and her husband. Apparently, she feels the need of my moral support and tried to bribe me with the promise of buying me an entire new outfit to wear to this place. For some unspoken reason she assumes I have nothing suitable to wear.

Besides, she tells me, my widowhood will never end unless I start going out again. I think I’d pass on the clothes and the bar, and choose to stay a widow for a lot longer. I rather like my style of conservatism and don’t think I really want a place among the liberal and tolerant.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound wise.

K. Shoshana said...

I might sound wise, but I suspect my 'friend creds' are sorely lacking...

Michael said...

Kate:
Maybe you do need to go out again, but not to the sort of places you just described... They don't sound like you.

On the other hand, I haven't had to arrange a date in 7 years; what do I know?

K. Shoshana said...

Egad, dating!@#$@#@!! I just find that notion too replusive for words. Actually, years ago I made a conscious decision not to date again but instead concentrate my energies raising my children. My great-grandmother died at 77 while she was getting ready for a hot date so I think I really do have the time to spare.

Most of my peers, whose parents divorced, had a terrible time growing up with their mother's dating. I don't want to inflict that kind of misery on my children.

My family works, the children are doing so very well that I would hate to do anything that could potentially put their emotion state in distress.

Besides, I really do get the feeling that I am completely out of sync with the world I live in.