Friday, July 21, 2006

The revolution may be blogged but I am not going to nickel and dime the dead or injured

The military censors are doing an outstanding job so that it is harder and harder to get a feel or a handle on what exactly is going on in the conflict. Logic dictates that a ground war is inevitable in Lebanon, if the stated objective by the Israelis is to reduce Hezbollah’s capacity to strike with their missiles into the heart of Israeli communities. It could be already underway for all I can determine. I suspect official announcement of ground war action will not be announced until several days into the actual offensive.

I find that I am suffering a sort of emotional and intellectual distaste for blogging the gruesome details of soldier and civilian causalities from either side on a daily basis which seems to make up a substantial portion of what news is being released at this time. I suppose I just don’t want to end up being simply a coffin bloggerazzi. I will be blogging, but I am not going to do daily body counts.

I am surfing the regular Israeli media’s English sites (Ynet News, Ha’aretz, Jerusalem Post, Debkafile & Arutz Sheva) and I am also reading a fair amount of other bloggers in the midst of this conflict for updates. The Israeli and Lebanese bloggers are giving the war an ethos that is extremely poignant. One just does not get that from newspaper accounts listing how many dead, injured or where. For the Israeli bloggers start with Israellycool, and for the Lebanese start with Lebanese Bloggers ; then work your way through their respective blogrolls. I should also give a special mention to the IRIS Blog which does an outstanding job of posting a daily round-up of editorial and hard news content.

And for heaven’s sake don’t pay attention to the analysis offered by anchors of either CNN or Fox News. After despairing over the CNN coverage, I changed the channel to Fox and Friends this morning just as the blond (whatever her name is – I am too apathic towards her to waste my time looking up her name) anchor discussed how the Israeli Defense Force was still using strategy and fighting techniques based on the old WW2 paradigms of warfare……

No comments: