Friday, April 07, 2006

My Inner Geek is struggling to assert herself.

About two weeks ago I was having a discussion with the Tribe in a toy store searching for never-ending appropriate gift to bring to one of the many parties the children get invited too. I remarked on the lack of models available to build cars, trains, and ships or well anything for a child over 6.

The children wanted to what model toys I use to build. I had to explain that it was a different time and that kind of gift that was considered highly appropriate to give a girl child so I never got model kits. I do remember the closest thing I received to a model kit was a portable knitting machine that my father sent for my 6th birthday but my childhood building experiences were not a complete washout. My grandpa and I spent many hours in his workroom in the basement making wooden cars and trains. Not only did I get to learn how to use all this tools, but he showed me a few tricks to pick locks with – quite a handy skill to have as I have discovered in the course of living my life.

Now one of the decided perks of having children is that any deficiencies or things that were lacking in your own childhood you get to make up for in theirs. For example, I always wanted Operation and Battleship and now not only am I the reining Operation/Battleship Queen of the house but there is always someone to play with me. I always wanted to have a model kits to build 16th - 18th century ships; clippers, schooners, galleons and maybe work our way up to a full scale replica of HMS Victory. Now I have gotten the Tribe all hyped up on the idea of building and I cannot find a store that sells model kits for ships which really blows. But what is even worse is the idea that modern toymakers presume that this new generation of children won’t enjoy making things with their hands.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may have to check out the specialty model toy stores in your area. They usually have a good selection of that type of thing. I am not sure that Toy's R Us will carry anything like that, though.

K. Shoshana said...

That's just it, it seems like the speciality model toy stores have disappeared - you can buy pre-assembled cars, ships or planes but the kit market seems to have dried up completely in the Toronto I know.

Chris Taylor said...

I think all such places have been shooed out of the downtown area by rising lease prices, but a few exist in suburbia.

Hornet Hobbies on O'Connor Drive seems to have a pretty good selection of model-building stuff, plus they have monthly learning seminars.

For ship models specifically, there is Cast Your Anchor on Kingston Road. They also have seminars on nautical model-building and RC-boat stuff.

Chris Taylor said...

Oh and Wheels and Wings on St. Clair Ave East.

I have passed these places a million times (they're all within 5-10 minutes of home), but my model-building days are way behind me so I've never gone in on a firsthand recon.

Every so often I have delusions about buying a huge 1:72 scale B-52 model and finishing it. That was my last great (unfinished) childhood modelling enterprise.

K. Shoshana said...

Thanks Chris, I should have known I could count on you to come through with these places.

As far as the B-52 goes- go for it. Why not? Life is about having fun too.