Saturday, March 26, 2005

Things that make me grateful to be a Canadian

Now that I seemed to have opined my way into the religious right’s lunatic fringe but I still know my limits. Even I would protest this kind of religious activity if the religious tried to institute it here. Taken from the Toronto Sun:
NINETEEN Filipino cops facing dismissal or suspension atoned for their infractions by flagellating themselves or volunteering to be crucified during yesterday's annual reenactment of Jesus Christ's final hours.

The Central Lauzon police command gave officers who had been absent without leave or who had neglected their duty a novel option: Redeem themselves -- and keep their jobs -- by joining the Lenten rites, said regional commander Chief Superintendent Rowland Albano.

Flagellation or crucifixion just seems a little over the top for taking a day or two off work or even falling asleep while on duty.

No comments: