Thursday, March 24, 2005

Canadian War Heroes

Considering today is the big day that the Immigration and Refugee Board’s decision on the case of US Army deserter Jeremy Hinzman will be handed it down; it somehow seems appropriate that I bring your attention to the literary debut by a young Canadian writer, Giancarlo La Giorgia called Canadian War Heroes. The book covers the war of 1812 right up to the current War on Terror.

I received an email last night from Giancarlo bringing my attention to his blog and in particular; a posting he wrote called To Live and to (Almost) Die in East End Montreal concerning his boyhood exploits with danger. I don't know Giancarlo or his family but after reading it I instinctively sympathize with his mother. No doubt the two of us would find much common ground.

This weekend was scheduled to be the annual Easter book buying binge and I am hoping that I will be able to buy Giancarlo's book on Canadian War Heroes. Hopefully, I can find it in Chapters or Indigo. Lord knows, I need a tonic after reading about this award for achievement.

2 comments:

John the Mad said...

Kate:

"I need a tonic after reading about this award for achievement."

The link for this doesn't work. I'm curious. Let us know.

K. Shoshana said...

Link is now fixed but the short story is Western is honouring Henry Morgenthaler with an honourary degree for lifetime advocacy.