Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A sucker is born, again.

Okay, so I did it even though I kept swearing to myself I would not vote again until I could actually vote for a political party without holding my nose while I mark my ‘X’ on a ballot.

It is not like my vote carries much weight in my riding because all the little peons won’t turf Turncoat Bob. There is an irony in Turncoat Bob running in Toronto-Centre which is this - all those same little peons who think nothing for voting for Bob today, were more or less the very same peons, who ran Bob Rae out of politics after a disastrous term as premier of the province. They might not remember Bob Rae Days but I have never forgotten his mismanagement of the provincial economy. I fully expect, come tomorrow morning, Bob Rae will carry Toronto Centre by a wide margin and you cannot make me care as he won’t be my MP by July 1st.

In return for my ‘hold my nose and vote CPC in Toronto-Centre’ all I ask of Stephen Harper is that he works to repel the abomination of an election law which grants a $1.83 of the public purse to every political party for each vote cast their way. It’s bad enough I get stiffed with the bill of supporting these jokers in Parliament but to make me contribute to their election war chests is simply beyond the pale.

One more thing, there is an election blog burst going on. Apparently I am to quote the words of a former prime minister. It runs like this:
"I am a Canadian, a free Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship God in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and for all mankind." John Diefenbaker, circa 1960.

While that might have been true in 1960, but today is 2008, and the cold reality is I am far less free than at any other period in Canadian history.

No comments: