Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Snow Jobs

Yesterday, one of the joys of my life was late coming home. Isaiah Sender’s explanation for his tardiness was because he had to serve a detention after school and it was not enough for him to serve out his sentence. Apparently, I am to write a note acknowledging his wrongdoing as well as giving a possible explanation as to why he committed this infraction, as well as, outline the steps I have taken to see that he does not transgress the rules again.

It would have been okay if the school had not demanded my participation. This is a new initiative thingy introduced by a man who I refer to as the panty-waster (aka as the principal) without affection. Five months. Five months and I never have to deal with this man again. I tell myself it is survivable but probably only with a great deal of Tehillim.

This is a copy of the note I wrote:

February 4, 2008

To Whom It May Concern:

Isaiah Sender XXXXX has duly advised me that he was apprehended throwing snowballs today contrary to the school rules.

I have once again gone over the school rules governing recesses and snow with Isaiah.

Though I cannot begin to comprehend, why after all these years, the school administration does not come up with a safe and effective way to allow the children to enjoy both recess and the snow at the same time.

I do not believe such circumstances are mutually exclusive or undoable. This is Canada, and snow, at some point in the winter, is a fact of life for most of the country. Furthermore, I believe it is unrealistic to expect a rather small playground filled with snow not to act as a child entrapment.

My suggestion is either to have the janitorial staff clear the entire playground of snow so no child is tempted to commit a snow infraction before the arrival of the children. Or the school administration develops coping strategies and directs the energy of the children into playing safely with the snow.

For example, each of the different classes could be responsible for the creation of a snow fort spaced at a suitable distance governing age and physical ability. A contest could be held for the best design and arranged by grade levels. It would also be the perfect time to introduce a unit of study during social sciences classes on how the Inuit coped with life with snow as well as studying igloo design. Or a target range could easily be arranged along the side fence and a competition held for title of best snowball thrower. These are just a few coping strategies which I believe would be far more effective than creating a series of rules which children are bound to transgress.

Yours truly,

Mrs. XXXXX

After I wrote the note, I came to the conclusion it so sucks to be a child today and you could not pay me enough to go back to childhood and re-live it out circa 2008. I know snow forts are banned on the playground. I am not sure why, I just know they are. So is kicking snow at each other or running and sliding in the snow. As far as I know; the only thing you are still allowed to do on the playground is to attempt to catch snowflakes in your mouth or make snow angels. That probably still holds a measure of excitement for the kindergarten classes but it strikes me as pretty lame for any child 6 and up.

I get it that the school is concerned about safety and does not want any child harmed. I get it that some of these boys are rather large and possess considerable strength so a snowball thrown at some one’s head could hurt or do damage. I get it and really do understand that my son knowingly broke the rules and was duly punished for it. I don’t even object to the fact he was punished but what I object to is a set of arbitrary negative rules without any direction, guidance or promotion on what is allowed or acceptable positive play in the snow.

And what I object to even more is my participation in this ridiculous snow job.

8 comments:

Balbulican said...

You should know, if you don't already, that in Ontario, the making of "Snow Angels" was held by the Supreme Court (Regina vs. Pilikapsi, 2006) to violate students' rights to a non-denominations, secular educational environment. The decision by Justice Brisebois noted, in part, that "...while Angels are part of the spiritual tradition of several of the faiths represented in our cultural mosaic, there is no clear consensus on their appearance. It has been argued by the Crown that the classic "Snow Angel" is illustrative of the angelic imagery most commonly associated with Christian worship...and therefore might tend to be viewed as a denial to non-Christian students...[of their] right to enjoy a publicly funded facility free of denominational iconography."

The decision further noted that this consideration would not apply in Roman Catholic schools. The decision is currently being appealed.

Josh said...

Wow, I'm not that far removed from your young sons age, maybe 15 or 20 years, and it is so different. Of course I grew upp in one of the worst cities in the United States, so a childs safety with regards to snow was the least of their concerns. When throwing snow balls, I think they were happy it wasn't a gun or knives.

I remember the playground that we used being so full of glass that it sparkled in the sun light. It never stopped us from "rough housing" and having fun - and we grew up just fine. I don't envy children at all these days. When watching my nieces and nephews, I make sure that they get a healthy dose of "dangerous" play - boxing, wrestling, playing guns, tackle football (american football), and plain old mischief.

What a world, huh?

Chris Taylor said...

Hilarious. I cannot believe snowballs are forbidden to children these days. Childhood really must suck.

But then on the other hand they have Rock Band and other cool videogames I would have killed for.

And the Internet. No more wasting a day in the Reference Library, looking at a million card catalogues and scanning through hundreds of books. It's much, much easier now to plan your research and then head to the library once you've got particular titles in mind.

K. Shoshana said...

Balbulican, the problem with your satire, is that is so close to all the weird going-ons I couldn't tell if you were joking or until I did a search...good job.

Josh, I know I cannot believe how insular everything has become...

But Chris, they have to have something to do...though I do think a few lost days in the Reference Library hardly makes up for the pick up hockey games, the snow wars, and the freedom to just run around the neighborhood on until the street lights come on.

BHCh said...

This reminds me... Once I was arrested for playing snowballs. I was ~13 and it was in the USSR. As luck would have it I was playing with a son of a local communist bigwig (among others) so we we let out of prison within seconds of getting there.

Anonymous said...

Please don't blame the school or the principal --- It's the lawyers and the threat of being sued --- If one was to close all the Law Schools the world would soon be alright

Kevin Jaeger said...

In communist countries part of the indoctrination always involved getting citizens to publicly proclaim things everyone knew to be nonsense. Many claimed it was the most soul-destroying and dehumanizing aspect of living in a communist tyranny - worse than the many other hardships that merely made life dreary but bearable.

I suspect at some level they know the modern school system amounts to psychological abuse of energetic young boys and feel the need to make sure parents are complicit in it.

I'd be tempted to write that I can't stop you from giving him a detention, but I know boys will throw snowballs and leave it at that.

Candace said...

Killer letter - I'd love to see the look on the principal's face when he reads it.

While as a parent I ?enjoy? a certain amount of angst over my daughter's schoolwork (or lack thereof) and/or transgressions, I must admit to really enjoying getting to write to various teachers the things I wanted to say, too many years ago, without fear of detention or a note home to MY mom.