Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mac Attack

I have three computers running off a wireless network at home and it is not fracking enough. The only time I manage to pull off unfettered access to a computer is between 3-5am daily and its getting on my last nerve not to mention the havoc it plays with my body’s sleep cycles.

So I have bitten the bullet and came to a decision. I will buy myself a laptop – as in for me only – no sharesies. I want a completely portable machine so I can lug it around from room to room in search of a quiet spot but I also want it to be something which I can carry easily with me whenever I need to flee the house to find peace and quiet.

What I really want is a new Macbook, but alas with one child entering university, another child growing out of all known clothing sizes, and a younger child nickel and diming me to death; I just can’t justify the outlay of a new $1200 plus laptop to indulge myself. I realize I could pick up a Dell, Compaq or whatever for half the price of a new Macbook but I want an Apple. Ever since I got my mother a new iMac last September I have been existing in a state of constant covetousness for an Apple. And if I am going to go the second hand/refurbished route it will only be for an Apple. So an iBook G4 it is.

I have tried Ebay but considering one of my issues is that I can’t seem to pull off consistent access to a computer in order to bid in a timely fashion the odds of me scoring an iBook G4 are slim to none. I’ve tried Craig List but no one ever returns my emails. I did manage to find a reasonable machine at Click on Mac for $499 (and let me just say the sales guys there - really need to get a little more customer friendly) but it did not have an Airport card and I really need iBook with Airport card. Although, the sales clerk seem to be suffering from the delusion that there are no Airport cards to be had for iBook G4’s. He probably hasn’t heard of the internet or Ebay, because if he did, he would know the cards can be picked up for less $50 at Ebay or a half a dozen Apple shops around the world. Although, I would rather save myself the wait and hassle by buying a machine with the Airport card already loaded.

Here is what I am looking for and will pay CASH for:
iBook G4 (12-14”) running between 1.- 1.42 Ghz,, has a 30/40/60 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM, OS Tiger or Leopard, Airport Card, internal modem, firewire, Bluetooth, at least 1 usb port, combo-drive CD-RW/DVD, power adapter and charger. I need a battery life of at least 2 plus hours. I am not too fussy over the looks per say (no missing keys or dead pixels please) and would love for it to come with iLife, iWork or MS Word but it isn’t necessary.

So if anyone has or knows of anyone who has an iBook G4 that they would like to unload for CASH - contact me directly at TheLastAmazon - at- gmail.com and tell me what you got and what you want for it. I'd write more but apparently I have to give up this computer for "homework".

No comments: