Monday, November 19, 2007

All hat, no cattle

I haven’t done much blogging about the upcoming Annapolis Summit between the Israelis and Palestinian Authority even though the Mid-East news is full of reports in the lead up to the conference. Frankly, the rationale for this conference keeps eluding me. I keep waiting for a moment of clarity which never seems to come….

For example, the Palestinian Authority negotiators refuse to recognize or acknowledge a key fact on the ground - Israel is a Jewish state. Apparently to insist on having the Palestinian Authority do so - amounts to a “poke in the eye”.

Then there is today’s report in the Jerusalem Post:
The Annapolis conference will be important, despite the fact that no negotiations will be taking place there, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Monday. Olmert told the ministers at the opening of the weekly cabinet meeting - which was held on Monday this week rather than on Sunday - that negotiations would only begin after the conference and would "deal with the most fundamental issues in order to arrive at two nation-states alongside one another."

Saying negotiations will only take place after the conference is like saying negotiations will only take place sometime after the sun rises. It is not like Olmert and Abbas have not met in public before. In fact, Olmert has even had Abbas over for dinner – long before this conference took place.

3 comments:

Naftali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naftali said...

Hi,

You may find this post, it's comments, and it's follow up interesting: http://deanesmay.com/posts/1195621840.shtml

If you should happen to comment on it, on your site, I will link to your comment with a short, honest promotional introduction to your wonderful blog.

I am not suggesting that you comment. I am merely spelling out
what I would do if you did.

I, personally, would love to see your blog, and others like it, grow.

I think it good for the blogosphere

Naftali

K. Shoshana said...

I appreciate both the compliment and the link to the post/discussion but I am afraid time constraints won’t allow me to publish anything for a few days….long past the time of the best before date on this post.

I take a somewhat contrary view to both Aziz and Podhoretz. It’s a serious subject which deserves something more than a few lines dashed off the top of my head but I will say this – characterizing Iran as a kind of Islamic Soviet Union is a step in the wrong direction. I see Iran more as more revolutionary Cuba type figure - if one wants must go all cold war. Don’t under estimate the propensity for harm and ill Cuba exported into the wider world. Also, I believe for one to really understand the potential threat Iran poses to Israel - one has to understand why the mullah’s feel threatened by the mere existence of Israel, a country so small and statistically unimportant to the mullah’s and the seas of their ambitions.