Sunday, October 29, 2006

Confessions of a Closet Slouch Potato

I have a confession to make. I am now watching more television on a weekly basis than I ever watched in the last 20 years combined. For the first time, I actually know what the “hot” new shows are. I am not sure why that is, but I think a lot of it has to do with the children wanting to watch shows with me.

It use to be, they didn’t care if I watched or not. Now I am in demand. Of course, it helps that the Last Amazon takes the time to once a week to program the VCR/DVD player with all the various shows times, so come the weekend, we play catch up with the machine. I only wish they wouldn’t get mad at me when I fall asleep and insist on waking me up - so that I miss nothing. I have been missing things on television for years. Really, it’s okay guys and please stop hitting me with pillows. I watch Heroes with the whole crew, Stargate: Atlantis with the Boys, Battle Star Galactia with the Goldfish Eater, Lost with the Dreadie, and Veronica Mars with the Last Amazon.

On a down moment, when I suddenly found myself alone, I caught 10 minutes of NBC’s Studio 60, and boy, does that show ever blow. So I am not surprised that NBC finally wised up and is rumored to be deep sixing the show shortly. It can’t be soon enough.

Really, I have to wonder why anyone would presume that it would be entertaining to want to watch an insider’s view of a comedy show week in and week out. How very Dick van Dyke of them sans Mary Tyler Moore. The sixties ended a long time ago and it’s never coming back. Besides, there is something very uncompelling about earnest comedians. And by the way ----Heroes Rock.

3 comments:

Chris Taylor said...

I am surprised The Unit didn't make the cut in your roundup.

K. Shoshana said...

Steve B - DVD is my preferred television viewing method - if the LA wasn't taping the new seasons as they come out, I wouldn't have a clue until the box set arrived.

Chris - The Unit

It's the Last Amazon's job to keep us apprised of all the new shows as neither the boys nor I can be bothered to keep track.

I must ask her why it was not included in her August debriefings. I suspect there is some kind of conflict with her independent viewing habits - hence the silence.

There is a television in everyone's room with cable but the children all bicker endlessly about what shows they will watch on the livingroom television - even though its not the best tv in the house. Go figure.

Chris Taylor said...

I would also like to nominate Ugly Betty. It is not exactly full of superhero goodness like Heroes, or tales of derring-do goodness like The Unit, but it has its own charm. Especially if you have ever worked in a cutthroat, dog-eat-dog environment and felt you were like the only person in the company who was not prepared to descend to the level of dogdom.