Tuesday, August 10, 2010

If this is an example of Mullah tolerance in action - who'd want to experience the love?

My daughter recently accompanied my mother and aunt to my other aunt's wedding. I didn't go for a couple of reasons – one being I only go to one wedding per individual and I had already used my quota with her. Besides I suspected it would be a 'dry' event and while I may not drink a lot - there is something about a dry wedding which doesn't exactly inspire a feeling of joy.

When my daughter returned she asked me why I didn't tell her our Aunt was a Baha'i and what the heck was a Bahai' anyway. I had forgotten she was, as it was a religion she acquired along with her second husband, and given the nature of that bitter divorce; I assumed the Baha'i faith went the way of the 2nd husband. My bad. Then the daughter asked me what it meant to be a Baha'i. I told her honestly I haven't a clue and had very little curiosity about it since it had nothing to do with Judaism. From what I gather there are a lot worse things to be a follower of, but apparently, not so in Iran.Ynet News:

Seven leaders of the Baha'i community in Iran convicted of spying for Israel have been sentenced to 20 years in prison, according to reports that reached the Baha'i international community. According to Bani Dugal, the Baha'i representative to the UN, "The accused received the sentence, and their lawyers are preparing an appeal." The seven leaders were arrested two years ago. In addition to espionage, they were charged with illegal organization and distribution of propaganda against the Islamic regime.
 
Reports obtained by the Baha'i community said the allegations of "ties with Zionists" are based solely on the fact that the Baha'i World Center - the spiritual and administrative center of the Baha'i faith – is located in Haifa.
Oy, and this just speaks volumes for Iran's famed Islamic tolerance:
A US State Department report released earlier this year criticized the Iranian government for its treatment of those practicing the Baha'i faith. The report said Iran's government prevents Baha'is from gathering in homes to worship and bans Baha'is from public schools, universities, the social pension system and government leadership posts unless they conceal their religion. "The government repeatedly pressured Baha'is to recant their religious beliefs in exchange for relief from mistreatment," the report

No comments: