Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I just can’t see the shock and awe factor of a tutu

Let me say it so you don’t have to. I know I am a relatively cold and unfeeling individual and having established my credentials, let me say this plainly - This has to be one of the most whacked initiatives in the military I have heard of for sometime. Ynet News:
In an effort to fight the spreading phenomenon of draft dodging, the IDF has decided to form a military dance troupe that would allow outstanding dancers to continue pursuing their vocation within the army. The troupe is the initiative of prominent dancers and choreographers David Dvir and Ido Tadmor.

"Talented dancers do not enlist in the army and leave the country for a career or studies abroad," Dvir explained. "Unlike exceptional athletes, an outstanding dancer needs to be in a supportive environment constantly, and the arrangement that had existed so far – of service that allowed limited time to dance - hurt their career," he added. "Therefore, many of them decided not to enlist and we felt that an entire generation of dancers was slipping through our fingers."
An IDF military dance troupe. Let me guess, they will call the dance unit "Nutcrackers". This ought to shock and awe the Syrians, Hezbollah, Hamas, Fatah et al into submission.

1 comment:

Balbulican said...

"An entire generation of dancers was slipping through our fingers."

That can't have been very comfortable for anyone concerned.