Friday, March 02, 2007

How to be a hero to your children

My main computer fried its hard drive late last August, and so, with two children set to enter secondary school I made a decision to purchase a new one – immediately. I did have another back-up computer, an old Windows ’98 pre-2000 model, which was starting to talk back every time I turned it on and grumbles everytime one attempts to execute a command. It’s still running (in a manner of speaking) but it just processes too slowly to do anything but run old Windows 95 and 95 PC games on it.

Eventually, I bought another hard drive to replace the one that fried and got a wireless network running between the two new machines. I thought with two fully functioning computers it would ease up on demand. Boy, was I wrong. We didn’t have this much bickering when we had only one computer with an internet connection. Of course, I hadn’t counted on the youngest finding an online game called Gunz or the Last Amazon being able to watch television and movies from the internet. You would not believe the chaos which has ensued for the last four months which is why I rarely blog on weekends.

For the first time, I had to institute computer user limits. Two hours on weekdays and no more than 4 hours on day on the weekend for everyone under 21 years of age and no one gets extra time for homework. Homework has to come out of one’s total computer time. Much grumbling under breathe has ensued, but better that, than the unceasing outright bickering which was plaguing my home in every waking moment.

I realize I probably need another decent computer to add to the network but it’s just not in the financial cards. A new washing machine takes priority. I had bought the boys (so I tell myself and others) an Xbox 360 a few months ago, but I had refused to hook it up to the internet so - no Xbox live.

Last night I came home with a wireless network adapter for the Xbox 360. When the Last Amazon called me after she had arrived home safely I advised her I had purchased a wireless adaptor on my lunch hour. She, who does not even game, was so appreciative that when I came through the door - a cappuccino with whipped hot cream and cinnamon was waiting. My youngest, Isaiah Sender, insisted on helping me take off my boots, while my man, Montana, very gallantly relieved me of my coat and bags.

I really was dreading hooking up the adaptor. I couldn’t find, for the life of me, the little piece of paper wherein I had dutifully written down my network administrator passwords, nor could I remember what the passwords were. Somehow, I was able to get around that fact. Montana thinks I am a computer technical genius while Isaiah Sender just knelt in awe. The Last Amazon calls me the sainted blessed mother.

I suspect it means I am just the fool who has unsecured my wireless network but the Xbox is now very live with a year’s paid subscription. The children are ecstatic for now. Today is a teacher’s professional development day; therefore, no school today. There are two working internet connected computers, Xbox live and fully functioning. There is an abundant supply of snacks (including the unmanly Goldfish crackers) and drinks. And the allegedly sainted Momma has to spend the day toiling to earn the daily bread which makes all these toys possible. I just wonder how long this state of bliss will last, but for now; life is good and I am a hero.

6 comments:

Mjölnir said...

Kateland - check your wireless router software, you often can set up internet access restrictions specific to each pc with it, if your router is dd-wrt capable (dd-wrt is open source firmware for routers) you can definatly set it up. As for the older machine, put a small linux distro on it and you can still get a lot of use out of it.

Skal!

K. Shoshana said...

Mjölnir, I appreciate the advice. I really do. Now if only I could understand it.

I suspect its much like a couple of emails I received this week which were partially written in Hebrew. I understand about a 100 words in Hebrew (long story about how I know those) but most of what I understand I have to hear.

Anyway, there was this one phrase (tisku lemitzvot) that I knew I should know, but it had me totally had me stumped. I understood the root mitzvot but I was at a loss to understand the context.

I kept thinking I should have sent the Last Amazon for Hebrew lessons like she asked years ago – or at least bought Hebrew for Dummies – like she told me to in the bookstore. I was sitting at my desk staring at this phrase written on a piece of paper when a co-worker came over and attempted to read the phrase outloud. Then it hit me, and did I ever feel dumb. Frankly, it’s a wonder if I ever merit anything at the rate I’m going.

For now, I am going out on a limb here and hedging all my bets on the concept of "sh’yiheyeh beseder” (it will be okay).

Mjölnir said...

if you post your router make & model I'll tell you what you can or cannot do with it. There are other ways of course, to restrict access as well.

And thanks for the hebrew lesson..

Michael said...

A new washing machine takes priority

Here, it was a dryer. It's not needed in the summer, but you just can't line dry anything in the winter.

yiheyeh beseder isn't so much a Hebrew lesson, as an Israeli culture lesson. Kol tov... (it's all good)

K. Shoshana said...

Kol tov - I'll have to remember that for next year.

The dryer went two years ago and was replaced. I can't actually line dry anything here either - unless I intend to clothe my neighbors.

Actually, I have a new washer coming on Friday. I got such an incredible deal on it that I might be able to swing another computer too.

Michael said...

new washer coming on Friday

Ah, the joys of laundry!

And another Hebrew lesson, just for you:

Every word in Hebrew can be a verb, even hadash, new. So...
Tithadash! Which is the command of the reflexive l'hithadesh, to renew. It's what people say when someone buys something new. It doesn't translate to English, but it basically means, renew yourself.